Chicago Solo
The end of July 2013 brought many unique opportunities to Mike and I. I was offered a chance to go to Daytona Beach for a three day conference at the last minute and I said: YES! Wah Hoo!!! Threw my classy suits in a bag and flew south. Well, further south than I live...and this was the view from my room at the HILTON. They were inundated with 700+ Higher Education people at what must have seemed to them ALL AT ONE TIME. Lines were long, people were grouchy from the crazy airline layovers and cancellations and misdirects. They let us check in early and allowed a late check-out the last day of the conference. Despite the grouchy people, the clerks were so nice and polite and kept smiling through it all. They deserve a raise and praise.
So, first afternoon, immediately upon check-in, we started meetings. Being Florida, this is what it looked like when we were not in meetings:
So, a group of us just meet on the beach every morning at 6:00 (yes, 6:00 am) and walked for 45 minutes or so, then went back out that evening for an hour or so. It was wonderful...I love the sound of the ocean and the feel of salt spray and sand between my toes.
Then, after Florida, I jumped on a plane and headed to CHICAGO! Originally, Mike and I were driving to Chicago, where he had meetings lined up in connection with his job. I was going along for the ride. However, Daytona happened and I had another trip first. Lucky me! I got Mike to bring my casual clothes in the car and so I traveled a little lighter than usual.
I need to start by saying, "I LOVE VISITING CHICAGO!" We all go ever so often, St. Paddy's day being one of our favorite times to visit. Any other time being our second favorite time to visit. My first day I arrived LATE due to delays due to mechanical problems and I am not complaining because I want that darn plane in good shape if my seat is in its seat. Being the savvy amateur traveler that I am, I prearranged a shuttle to take me to the WESTIN downtown. Yes, the one on Dearborn. Yes, the one where there is a view of the river and riverwalk. I LOVE CHICAGO and WESTIN. But I digress.
Once I knew I was going to be getting to Chicago somewhat late, I went online to find a shuttle. I did NOT want to navigate the 'L' late at night with purse, computer and luggage (although normally we would have as a group with just luggage). Taxis are pretty pricy and I liked knowing I would have SOMEONE to pick me up as Mike would be tied up in meeting and I was traveling SOLO. I found Viator at http://www.viator.com/tours/Chicago/Chicago-Airport-Roundtrip-Transfer/d673-3178ORDAPTRND
The reviews looked pretty good, although there were few. They had the best price I could find on that date and the website was easy to navigate. I called anyway. I wanted to make darn sure they were not going to be in an area OUTSIDE of the airport, but would be on the grounds and I did not want to ride a shuttle to catch a shuttle. Shondra (?) answered my questions quickly and booked me while I was on the phone (smart girl). She emailed my vouchers, which I printed off at the Hilton's business center, and I was set.
Once in Chicago, I tried to follow the CLEARLY printed directions and recall what Shondra had told me about where to go. OK, so I didn't go THERE first. I had to ask a traffic cop who kindly pointed out to me that it was printed on the darn voucher. The shuttle pulled up as I turned around to retrace my steps. There were MULTIPLE stops all around the airport and you really can't miss them...unless you are me and distractable as heck. The driver was funny and so nice. The entire experience, other than mindlessly walking past the stop, was enjoyable. I'll be using Viator again.
Day 1 ended with a lovely house Cab and a meet and greet with some of my husband's colleagues and friends. I don't even remember eating dinner, but I am sure I did...hmmm, maybe those chips I had with the Cab were dinner. Day 2 broke early and my walking shoes were ready. I was set to head out, by myself, to explore Chicago...did I mention that I am sometimes directionally challenged? So, I map-quested this little designer resale shop I wanted to visit; got a map from the concierge,and plugged the address into my MapQuest app on my Iphone. I was ready to go. One thing I learned on an earlier visit to DC: never carry around a map in your hand. EVERYONE, including thieves, know you are a tourist and who are the most distracted people in the world, looking at all the sights and map to boot??? Tourists, the joy of pickpockets and purse thieves. Keep that map in your bag or pocket and pull it out when you have to, then put it away.
Eight blocks later, I found the shop, which was great because it was supposed to be on Dearborn (and it was). It was full of so much stuff...I went home with two suits and a dress. Dropped package one off at hotel and plotted my course to the Art Institute of Chicago. They had a special Impressionist exhibit and I was going to see it.
While walking to the shop, I had noted that many of the people in Chicago stick their Iphone or Ipod into their pockets or purses wear headphones while walking around. I always wear an over-the-shoulder bag when traveling, so I stuck my phone in an outside pocket, plugged up my trusty Skullcandy ear pods and proceeded to listen to turn by turn on MapQuest. Brilliant.
Not Brilliant. I soon realized that the voice on the other end of my phone was taking me in circles. The building were blocking the satellites and "she" kept recalculating. I was proud that I noticed that I was going in circles and didn't keep going (directionally challenged, remember). I was ticked. I was hungry. I was not lost, but did not have my bearings and the street I was on was not on the Mapquest list and the stupid map I left in package one; you know, the one I dropped off at the HOTEL. I kept telling myself, "Everything for a reason, everything for a reason."
I had memorized some of streets that ran parallel to Dearborn JUST IN CASE I got lost. So I started walking, turned the corner, and there, in the middle of Chicago, was a farmer's market. I LOVE FARMER'S MARKETS. First stop, organic spring rolls with shrimp. YUM. Second, handmade lavender soaps and balms, then a honey stall, then a bakery, then...OK, I spent the next two hours there and ditched the museum. Everything for a reason indeed! As I was leaving, and you need to know I only left because they started packing up, I walked by a vendor selling lemon basil tea. ICED lemon basil tea. It was so good.
I walked around the area a while longer, recognized a familiar street and headed back to the hotel, taking a few side stops along the way. Once back at the hotel, I took a hot, soaky, soapy bath with my new lavender soap and dressed for dinner. Mike was engaged and it was pretty dark, so I opted for sushi in the hotel. Another glass of cab, miso soup, and a tray of shishimi and california roll. It was wonderful. Service is so good at the Westin.
Day 3 started off a little late; as in. I slept in. I rarely sleep in. It felt pretty good. Mike and I had lunch at House of Blues (sweet potato fries and Heat Seeker for me; regular fries and Juicy Lucy for Mike). I took some back to the hotel for later. Headed straight for museum. OH-MG. It was great. Impressionists paintings with the dresses from the period in displays beside them. It was at once fascinating and wonderful. Best of all, I was all alone and I took my time...no hurry, no worry, no hustle, no bustle. I had a lovely leisurely lunch of smoke salmon, french bread, REAL butter, and a lovely cabernet (I know the rules about wine and fish and I break them constantly). The temperature was perfect and the breeze gentle. Service was SLOW and I think my little waitress was new and green; still, it was almost perfect. Started back a bit late and it was just getting dark...street performers and hustlers were out. Put those earphones in and hit the road. Mike had graduation and then we had a lovely dinner at McCormick and Schmicks, complete with the AMAZING apple pie with cinnamon ice cream. We celebrate an end to our lovely trip with Processco. Headed home early the next morning! I truly enjoyed the entire trip.
WARNING for Wine of the month: Robert Mondavi Pinot Noir 2006 and 2011. We typically love pretty much any RM, especially the Cabs. The Pinot Noir is worse that horrid. We purchased one (2006) and uncorked. Vinegar is the closest thing to what it was like. We both knew this had to be a mistake. Tried again with the 2011. HORRID: Vinegar. Both these from two separate stores in two separate states. DO NOT waste your $$.
No comments:
Post a Comment